Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why Not?

One thing that surprises me about this whole project is the amount of time that I accomplished it in. Not to mention the period of my life that I decided to take this particular endeavor on. At the time that I "received" my idea, I was waist deep in applications for the School of Education at KU, working whenever I could, and trying to figure out how I managed to have a social life. On top of that, I decided to write a book. A book! Honestly, who wants to do more work than they really have to? Obviously, I did...and still do.

Two years later, I have a Bachelor's degree in Education, I still work all the time, my book is done(ish), I've added a Master's degree to the mix, and student teaching in the fall.Through all of this, I ask myself, "Why?" The why is directed more at my side project than anything else; I could wait and finish it later when I'm done with school and everything else going on. But, despite fighting back and forth, I find myself at my computer on the weekends, writing and re-writing until I don't know what I was writing about to begin with.

What I am trying to get at in a roundabout way is that despite the fact that you have so much going on with your life that you cannot even think straight, you have to constantly remind yourself that you do it to be a better you. You can question it and deny it all you want, but at the end of the day, you do it because you want to. I do it because I want to, but mostly, I do it because if I didn't do it, I would always wonder about what could have been.

I got to come home for a weekend, and let me tell you, no matter what, I love home more than any other place on this planet. I keep in close contact with my English teacher from high school, and I went to visit her for a bit while in town. This woman is eccentric, everyone knows it, but everyone also knows that she has a wealth of knowledge and wisdom that should not be ignored. I was telling her about my apprehension on sending my book off to places to be reviewed for possible publication when I had school to worry about next year. She looked me square in the eye and said, "Why not? Maybe you could be one of the few educators in this world that actually makes some money."

Maybe I will.

2 comments:

  1. My grandma always says, "If you never give them chance to say no, how will they ever be able to say yes?"

    You've got to get your book out there Chesney. Put that talent of yours to use. And you know you've already got a steady following of readers. Your words will not go unread. We love you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already signing up for that book on Amazon.com...get it out there!

    ReplyDelete